Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An edgy find at Random Row

I first discovered W. Somerset Maugham in 2007 when I began working my way through the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels (to date, I've read 28). Reading Of Human Bondage whetted my appetite for more Maugham -- but it was The Razor's Edge that made it on to my top five favorite novels. Imagine my delight then when, on a visit to Random Row yesterday, I found a neat cloth hardcover edition from 1944 -- the novel's original publication year. It is in really good condition, and still has its dust jacket -- protected by a Brodart book cover. I was almost convinced that it was a first edition when I looked it up, but I couldn't find anything conclusive on AbeBooks or the Library of Congress site. Either way, it is a perfect replacement for the newer paperback edition I have. Random Row does it again!


Book added: The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

Publisher: Doubleday, Doran & Co.

Year: 1944

Where obtained: Random Row Books, Charlottesville, VA

Price: $8.00

No comments: